Leaving the sea front and arriving at the Crocetta gallery, opened after the renovation of the old railway line, we can see in the wall niches bronze eagle heads by the Celle sculptor Pietro Costa.
Born in 1849, Costa attended the Accademia Ligustica di Belle Arti (Ligurian Art Academy) in Genoa, earning numerous awards during the course of his studies between 1866 and 1870, later perfected in Florence and then Rome. He worked at a young age, on works for the cemetery of Staglieno in Genoa and his fame began to spread from the confines of Genoa - he produced sculpture for the Chamber of the Provincial Council of Rome, for the Finance Ministry building in Via XX Settembre in Rome and shows at the Universal Exposition in Paris.
A witness to the fame he attained then is that in 1879 he won two national competitions: one for the monument to Giuseppe Mazzini in Genoa (Piazza Corvetto) and one for the monument to Victor Emmanuel II in Turin (in the square of the same name). Alongside these public commissions, to which must be added the General Lavalle Monument in Buenos Aires and the monument to Archbishop Serranos in Havana, the sculptor develops at the same time his generic style and his production of funerary monuments.